Saturday, November 10, 2012

Obituaries

Singer Major Harris, 65, member of the group the Delfonics, of congestive heart and lung failure:

He then joined the Delfonics in the early 1970s, replacing Randy Cain in the group known for their hits "La-La (Means I Love You)" and "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)."

Harris left the group in 1974 to pursue a solo career. He recorded a string of R&B singles, including "Love Won't Let Me Wait," which peaked at No. 5 in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart and was certified as a gold record by the Recording Industry Association of America. The song was covered by Johnny Mathis and Deniece Williams in 1994 and again by Luther Vandross on his 1988 album "Any Love."
_____

Boxer Carmen Basilio, the man who took the middleweight title from Sugar Ray Robinson, 85. He had been suffering from ill health for some time.
_____

Brooke Shield's mother and manager, Teri Shields, 79:

She was 79 and had suffered from dementia, a spokesperson for Brooke Shields told The New York Times, which reported the elder Shields's death.

"My mother was an enormous part of my life and of who I am today," Brooke says in a statement. "I loved her, laughed with her, and respected her. And although she had her share of struggles, she was my mom."
_____

No comments: