Sunday, May 05, 2013

I Know This From Personal Experience

It would be funny if it weren't so tragic that even eight months unemployed is NOTHING if you are over fifty and suddenly find yourself kicked to the curb.

These assholes in Washington want to CUT Social Security instead of LOWERING the retirement age and increase the monthly benefits.

Brutal doesn't even begin to describe it.

PAUL SOLMAN: These folks have all been unemployed long-term, and as you may have noticed, most are 55 and older. There's been lots of talk about the improving jobs picture of late, and especially today, when the official unemployment rate dropped to 7.5 percent, the lowest since 2008.

Our own more inclusive measure of the un- and under-employed is down to 16 percent, the lowest since we started tracking it in 2010. But in Bridgeport and at job fairs around the country, the reality is brutal for the more than four million Americans who remain out of work six months or more.

For those 55 and older, it takes about a year on average to find work, longer than for any other age group.

And what of those "jobs"?

In my case, it has been ONLY substitute teaching "jobs" that I cannot support myself on. About the only way it is doable is if I have Social Security and my pension to draw on in addition to sub pay.

I could almost support myself on that.

The operative word is "almost."

No comments: