Thursday, January 30, 2014

Need Help--Cash Crunch, Sick Dog

About two weeks ago, my Chihuahua, Sam, was having trouble breathing. He was breathing very rapidly, and he was very sluggish. His appetite was poor, and he didn't feel much like going for walks anymore. I started to panic because I just didn't know what was wrong with him.

Of course I wound up taking him to an emergency veterinary hospital, only because it was open 24 hours a day, and naturally it cost way more money than taking him to a regular vet, but I just felt I had to do it. He probably would have had to be referred to this place anyway.

Anyhow, I was so destitute I had to go on Care Credit, which I cannot afford to do, but it was necessary to do it to get him examined. He was diagnosed as having congestive heart failure, and I didn't have anymore tests done on him because I had to keep expenses below the $500 credit limit. He had oxygen therapy for a couple of hours, which helped him a lot.

The thing that was going to really break the bank for me was the medication. Sam has to have three types of medication for the rest of his life: Furosemide or Lasix, Benazepril, also a diuretic, and Pimobendin, which is a heart medication. These damned things, going through the vet, will cost me at least $150 a MONTH. Well, there is no way in hell I can continue to do this as destitute as I am.

Tomorrow I have to refill his prescriptions for two weeks, but afterwards I am done. I can find the same things on the internet for way cheaper than what the vet charges:

Wal-Mart sells a 90-day supply of Furosemide for just $10.

1-800-PetMEDS sells Benazepril by the tablet for 42 cents. Each tablet, divided into fourths, is good for four days for this dog. No way do I want to pay 18 dollars or thereabouts through the vet for the same thing for just two weeks.

And then the killer medication, Pimobendin. 1-800-PetMeds sells a 50 count, 1.25 mg (under the name Vetmedin) for $53.09, which would last Sam fifty days. He has to take this medication twice a day (it comes to one pill a day divided in half). Through the vet, a two-week prescription costs some $36 bucks. Outrageous.

Because I did not work at all in December, I am totally and completely destitute until the middle of February. I have other bills which will have to be paid right away until payday later in February, and I can also start ordering the medications for Sam online.

I am figuring I need about $350-$450 to tide me over.

I absolutely HATE to beg, but such is the life of being forced to work intermittent work, having a tiny pension, and not being eligible for Social Security for another three years. It is impossible to budget at all, and this health situation with the dog threw everything out of whack.

I am due to receive close to $300 from the state of Nevada on unclaimed property and filed claims almost three months ago, but they have been sitting on it. I contacted them Tuesday, and they said they had to take the claims (which they don't have that many to process that are not fast-tracked on the internet and paid right away) in the order they were received. My God, that money should be in the mail any day now, but who the hell knows with them? I am absolutely frantic because I have had just $300 to live on for this coming month thanks to no work at all in December. There are things coming due, and there is no family to borrow money from anymore.

No, I am still not going to scab for Medford School District if and when the strike happens; I will be working through ESD to do assignments. I don't think it would be necessary for me to scab. It wouldn't do me any good at this point because these districts pay only once a month. Anything like that would not be paid until the end of the month or the middle of the following month.

Anyway, I have a PayPal button for donations. I had to raise money last summer to tide me over, and it was a great help. I am hoping I don't have to resort to begging again. And, no, I am not a scammer. I wouldn't do this if I had any kind of stable income at all.

I am really sick of this, and I am stuck here in this shithole of an area where it takes an act of Congress to even get any kind of job at all. I am looking into other options (legitimate online key entry, tutoring) to try and get some other income in here, but such options are limited.

No comments: