Monday, February 10, 2014

If There's a Recall Petition, You BET I Will Sign It

This despite the fact one of the Medford school board members represented my brother for SSI benefits. She did an excellent job, and I am grateful for her work, but she doesn't belong on the school board. I don't know if she is getting any kind of financial support from Stand for Children; I do know they endorsed her and some other members of the board.

Bad news if a privatizer/hedge fund crook outfit endorses somebody for public office. There are ALWAYS strings attached.

Anyway, there is a movement afoot to recall the majority of the school board members, many of whom are running for re-election next year. They need to be booted out NOW.

link

Donna Connor, elections program manager, said the chief petitioner is Curtis Blake Weller of Medford.

The petition lists reasons for recall as failing to comply with the board's own mission statement and goals; conducting executive sessions rather than open public meetings; failing to honor legal agreements; imposing a contract without teachers' ratification; making misleading statements regarding contract negotiations; and ignoring public input.

"Obviously I ran for the School Board to bring more resources to kids and make kids more successful," board Chairman Jeff Thomas said this morning. "I'm saddened by the fact that we are in a strike situation right now, and we're working as hard as we can to find a resolution. But I also understand that if the community thinks I'm not doing a good job, they certainly have a right to go out and have an up and down vote. That's the way it works. Is it the best use of our time? Probably not. It's just going to divide the community more."

No comments: