Monday, February 17, 2014

It Was Long Overdue

I keep forgetting to note that finally some justice has been done in the world, but it took 15 YEARS of petitions to finally get Beatles manager Brian Epstein into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. The fact is he should have been inducted when the Beatles themselves were inducted over 25 years ago. I never understood the oversight or the reason for it. Hell's bells, 50 stinking years after the Beatles took over the United States thanks to Epstein's brilliant management and the overwhelming response especially by baby boomers horribly affected by the Kennedy assassination (the murder more than anything accounts for their absolute dominance in the U.S. in the band's prime years because the Beatles helped us in the baby boom generation take our minds off it and focus instead on something to feel good about), Epstein gets his due. Years and years after John Lennon's, George Harrison's, and his own death, justice finally gets done.

The 2014 induction ceremony is scheduled for April 10.

I have written at length about the Beatles and Epstein in posts that can be found here. I have revised my opinion a little bit of "I Am the Walrus," and "Strawberry Fields Forever" since I wrote those posts (I regard them more favorably today though they aren't the best songs of their career, and how could I not like a song that takes dead aim at no-talent Bob Dylan ("I Am the Walrus") and was brilliantly parodied by the Rutles as "Piggy in the Middle"?). However, I have a lot of vitriol over their absolutely terrible 1967 made-for-TV film, Magical Mystery Tour, a film I finally got around to watching after avoiding it for 47 years. I can truly say it should be on the list of the 100 films you should NEVER see before you die. It is that terrible, damned near the worst movie ever made.

I believe on the overpriced DVD (I don't have it as yet) Paul McCartney provides some commentary for the flick and some explanation on how the goddamned hell this piece of trash ever got made, besides the band being stoned out of their heads on LSD. Of course, the Beatles went through a very bad spell when Brian Epstein died, and I suppose this film helped them work through their grief somehow. Unfortunately, the grief should have been private, not dragged out in public in something that is simply unwatchable and painful to endure.

There is no plot, no point, no purpose to this film. I can't make heads or tails of it. I am not sure I could make heads or tails of it if I were dropping acid, either of the LSD variety or of the battery kind. It's simply enough to give me acid reflux, period.

Yes, it's on YouTube, but I don't know for how long. Of course the embedding is disabled, but that doesn't mean the poster has any rights to post the film at all. One can still download it to the iPod or to a flash drive or other device to keep until he or she can afford to waste money on a DVD or download.

To see this makes it painfully clear the band had disintegrated and never got back on track. They were stoned throughout, with Paul McCartney especially higher than a kite. He's in a total daze from the beginning to the end with the band's basically unchoreographed staircase descent while singing "Your Mother Should Know."

For that matter, so am I from watching it. For Beatles fans or even non-fans, it's just better to listen to the soundtrack album without having to see the context.

No comments: