Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Feel and Look Like Something the Cats Dragged In

I am winding down my fourth week in the training program for Experience Works. I mentioned the program in an earlier post. I am grateful I am getting at least some income, albeit it is only $285 every two weeks after taxes. Pretty much all of the money is gone when I get paid, and I have to save like the devil to be able to get the parts for the fuel pump for my car. My nephew the mechanic is going to fix it when I FINALLY get that money together next week or the week after. While $200 doesn't sound like a lot, it IS a lot when you are as broke as I am. It might as well be 20 grand.

I get a total of $876 a month after taxes and including the pension I get from Nevada PERS. It's a far cry from 50 grand a year six years ago. There is no end in sight, I am afraid. I have put in for many positions in education, but so far I have landed zip in interviews, let alone jobs. That doesn't mean there won't be any bites as the school year is ending up here, and perhaps given the lack of a car right now, it may be just as well.

One good news is I get the full SNAP benefit because the training is exempt from calculations. Apparently so is my pension as long as I am in Experience Works. That's a big help, let me tell you. I should have enough of a SNAP benefit to last me about the entire month.

Although the training has nothing to do with teaching, I don't mind doing it. It's just that it is so much physical labor, and even though it is just 5 hours a day, four days a week, I am worn out by the end of the day. I think a lot of the problem is due to my thyroid being screwed up, while another explanation is likely having to take the damned bus and waste 90 minutes or so a day in a commute. That is just ridiculous. If I had the car, it would take me no more than 15 minutes total to get to and from the site.

Since this book exchange has oodles of books, I have been taking some of them home. Given almost all of these books are nonfiction, I have no plans of ever returning them. I don't have to, of course, when I am done reading them. I don't care what people say about Kindle--real, physical books are so much better. I have been reading a lot of biographies and general nonfiction.

That takes up a lot of my time, so I don't spend a lot of time here on the blog like I used to. If I start on that goddamned idiotic Vergara ruling, I will get completely agitated because the damned thing is so completely wrongheaded and ignorant. It's like there was some kind of deal cut between the idiot judge and the plaintiffs.

Teachers are really up against it, and I am not overly optimistic for the future of public education in this country, let alone the country as a whole. The gangsters have the upper hand, and they control the Department of Education.

Crooks, every last one of them.

While it seems crazy I am trying to get back in the field, I have no choice in the matter. It is impossible to retrain for something else short of winning the lottery. There is no money, and I am having to continue to take deferments from Sallie Mae over the loan I had back in 1999.

I have other ideas kicking around what I want to do in the time I have left, but I can't do anything unless I have a decent income stream.

No comments: