Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Washoe County School District Gossip: Martinez Speaks Out

It sounds more and more like the school board wanted to scapegoat Martinez, and I hope he sues the district. They didn't give him ten days notice:

However, KTVN Channel 2 News caught up with Martinez who told us he was let go after he was accused of lying to the district about his credentials as a certified public accountant. He says he showed officials a copy of his certificate from the University of Illinois.

"I said the confusion is that I'm not a licensed certified public accountant because I've never needed that," Martinez said. "A license is required if you're going to sign audit reports."

He also says he never added anything in his resume that would signify his C.P.A. status. Nonetheless, he claims the school district wanted to terminate his contract.

"They offered to pay me money," he said. "They said, 'we'll cut you a check today,' and I said, 'frankly, I didn't do anything wrong.'"

He says if the district wanted to go in a different direction, he understands, but that there should have been a much longer process before he was relieved of his duties as superintendent.

"My contract is very clear that if they want to charge me with something, they're supposed to give me 10 days notice," Martinez said. "Give me a public hearing with a lawyer."

Now, both sides are preparing for what's next.

It sounds like the board wanted to "save face."

Video:


KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -



No comments: