Monday, August 11, 2014

Old Backstretch Gossip: The Things I Wish I Never Knew

It is old news; in fact, it was news a year ago when Penny Chenery's son John came out with a documentary about his mother and her celebrated horse Secretariat. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the racing great and his connections: all about his breeding, his racing times, his wins, his losses, his offspring, but it seems I didn't know squat at all about the really important stuff.

Until today while pinning some stuff on Pinterest and finding the information, I didn't know there had BEEN a documentary out on him and his owner. I wish I had never heard about it, for once again somebody I admired has teetered on the pedestal I put the person on.

Who the hell would have EVER thought this? From the link:

Chenery, 91, said she decided to speak candidly about her life so that the fans would know the version portrayed in the 2010 Disney film "Secretariat" isn't the whole story, the Herald-Leader reported.

"It may spoil my image. I don't know, and at this point, I don't care," Chenery told the newspaper in an interview. "It was a tremendous experience for me to go through the Secretariat years, and I just really wanted to let people know what it's like to have a top horse and no one to turn to.

"I was no longer married, my kids were not involved, and all of that pressure and press attention—Lucien and I were buddies, Chenery, 91, said she decided to speak candidly about her life so that the fans would know the version portrayed in the 2010 Disney film "Secretariat" isn't the whole story, the Herald-Leader reported.

"It may spoil my image. I don't know, and at this point, I don't care," Chenery told the newspaper in an interview. "It was a tremendous experience for me to go through the Secretariat years, and I just really wanted to let people know what it's like to have a top horse and no one to turn to.

"I was no longer married, my kids were not involved, and all of that pressure and press attention—Lucien and I were buddies, and then we were more," Chenery said.


How the hell did I MISS this story? I don't know what I was doing when this came out.

Even Secretariat biographer Bill Nack, somebody you'd think would know EVERYTHING there was to know about Secretariat and his connections, didn't know squat about the connections of Red's connections:

Revelation of the affair came as something of a surprise to Bill Nack, who covered Secretariat's career intensely and is author of Secretariat: The Making of a Champion.

"No, I had no idea," Nack said.

Looking back, he said, at the time, "I kinda thought about it for a while, but I thought, no, she's a statuesque beauty, he's a little guy with a nose that looks like it had been put on with putty. It just didn't figure."

But in hindsight, nothing could seem more natural, he said.



Even though it is ancient news, I still have to include it here.

I'll have to get the DVD of the documentary now.


No comments: