Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Tell Me About It

This has been the story of my life for the past four years especially. People act so stupid and arrogant to think you can just bounce back after being kicked to the curb, but it simply isn't that easy. If you are older and educated it is that much more difficult, let me tell you.

It also has nothing whatsoever to do with "skill set" or whatever delusional thing people spew. All it takes is for one to be "too old" at fifty or being "too expensive" or "too sick," and a lifetime of saving, of studying, of working hard goes right down the drain.

It took me four years after my UI ran out to get a regular gig--and it is only part-time with NO benefits, as school districts around here like to do in using the part-time positions to be a hiring pool for the full-time positions. That's why I took this job when it was offered to me rather than staying with Experience Works or going back to substitute teaching. I felt the opportunity of getting good references was worth taking the job, not to mention I am still using many of the skills I used as a regular teacher for this gig despite being way overqualified for this job.

Now I have to be able to find something to tide me over during the summer months. I also need to get that K-8 license and take those exams.

No comments: