Sunday, August 30, 2015

Message to Young Women: Forget About College

THAT is the insidious message conveyed by this utterly crap article from an equally utterly crap book that spews the notion that if women go to college and graduate, no man will want them. College women are such elitist snobs they will not deign to marry men who are "beneath" them, and therefore they can expect to be failures in life because they didn't get some man to support them, and all of the other bullshit messages they get every single time there is an economic downturn.

The motive is to scare women out of going to college and into the labor force because they have no right to take jobs away from men, the people who really "need" the jobs because they have or will have families to support. Jobs are scarce, and therefore women need to be booted out of contention.

It is a bunch of 1950s-style crap spewing the insidious idea that highly educated women will never find husbands, which is completely contradicted by the facts. The more educated the woman, the MORE likely she will be married. People are delaying marriage because of economic reasons and large student loan debt. I know of what I speak as somebody who is never-married, REALLY never-married, and not somebody who is 25, 30, or 35 years old. The author is a lying POS. I KNOW for a fact he is a lying POS because he goes around and claims that Reno, Nevada, a town that has quite a few Mormons, by the way, is one of the best parts of the country for single women to meet single men. I LIVED in that city for 26 years, from 1984 to 2010, did NOT have a college degree when I moved there, moved there for job reasons, and I will TELL you there are NO available, mentally stable men at ALL in that town. NONE. ZIP. Whatever surplus of men there are have to be in rehab or at St. Vincent's, the homeless shelter. There are a high number of alcoholics and people with gambling addiction there. There are also a lot of con artists there. Many men and women have been divorced multiple times, and I am not talking about once or twice. Try three, four, five, or more. Nevada in general, and Reno in particular, is notorious for having a highly transient population. It is extremely difficult to meet others in that town.

I went back to college as a non-traditional student when I was 30 years old in part because of the realization there were no men to be had in Reno. This was long before the advent of internet "dating" and other alternatives. I had to focus on my own future, on my own needs. I didn't necessarily want marriage anyway, but the reality of the Truckee Meadows, with all of the unstable people and no available men at my place of work, forced the situation on me. I wanted to improve my standard of living, plus I missed going to college, so I paid my way through. No, there were no available men in my age bracket at UNR, there were no available men at places where I volunteered over the years. None. Nevada is the total pits in meeting people if you are looking to snag a spouse or even a long-term relationship.

The author of this book is peddling the same bullshit that was circulating around 1986 that unmarried women over 40 had a better chance of being killed by a terrorist than in finding a husband. It was an exaggeration, of course, but the notion that "elite" women, whatever the hell that is, would never get married if they wanted husbands was immediately debunked.

It isn't any different now and probably less the case because of online "dating" and other ways to meet people that weren't available 30 years ago when I was at the so-called "marriageable" age.



No comments: