Friday, January 29, 2016

This Is My Situation Exactly

It doesn't take much, folks, to wind up like this woman, working until she is close to 80 years old.

A lot of people in this world have no clue what it is like to be a single woman over 60. It is basically a ticket to poverty to not have that working spouse.

She has more than I am going to get, since I am being fucked over because I have a tiny pension of $312 a month. See, I am subject to the terrible WEP because I worked in Nevada public employment.

My Social Security, while I will be forced to take next year, will be only about $725 a month. I will have to continue to work until I can't do it anymore.

The only way I won't collect SS at 62 is if I work full time, but that is a pipe dream at my age.

It took me FOUR goddamned years to get the classified, no benefits except PERS, school district job.

Nearing 80, she suffers daily aches and pains — leg cramps and arthritis and weakness from low blood sugar. Big Foot has its own problems: The roof leaks, so do the pipes beneath the sink. The water pump feeding the shower and sink is failing. “One of us is going to give out first,” Westfall said with a laugh. “It’s either me or Big Foot.”

She avoided disaster after the prime rib dinner by persuading the insurance company to space out her payment in installments. But then that same month, she was caught driving 43 mph in a 35-mph zone. The ticket: $300.

“I could just cry,” she wrote in her journal. “I won’t have earned $300 in all of May. If I can get it lowered to $150, it will still be more than my entire grocery budget. Don’t know how I’m going to manage it.”


But see, it's her own goddamned fault, not the system that is rigged largely against single women and of people who have the unmitigated nerve to be over 55. She should have stayed married and would have had a secure future instead of wanting to be independent.

At least at one time she owned her own place. I doubt that is going to happen to me.



No comments: