Sunday, January 22, 2017

Sideshow Attraction

I posted this yesterday after doing a Google search, but I decided to make this a separate post for today.

Noted murderer and stalker Carolyn Warmus, now 53, was denied parole last Monday.

Warmus gained national notoriety for her 1989 murder of her married lover's wife, Betty Jeanne Solomon. Warmus had hoped by getting Betty out of the way, her dream of marriage and all of that shit would come true with Betty's husband Paul. She was so sociopathic, immediately after she killed Solomon, she took off to the old Treetops Lounge in Yonkers, meeting Paul, and then having sex with him in her car. Unbelievable the lack of conscience.

However, Carolyn was a nutjob who wasn't even clever enough to pick up one of her expensive gloves after killing Betty in the apartment she shared with cheating husband Paul. Officials were also able to trace the gun and the silencer she used in the killing.

Warmus worked as a long-term substitute teacher--not a regular, contracted teacher--in one of the hardest districts to get a job in the country, and Paul Solomon was a teacher there (he has since retired and remarried). Warmus had a history of chasing unavailable men. The reason this case gained notoriety is because the killer came from a filthy rich background.

The background and her stalking habits, which at one point caused one man and his fiancee to file a restraining order against her, were fodder for every shrink in NYC had she bothered to utilize one's services.

If I remember correctly, her trial was televised, at least in part, in the early 1990s.

Warmus has continued to claim she was innocent of killing Betty Jeanne Solomon. She even has a webpage proclaiming her innocence.

She was denied parole because she racked up too many infractions during her sentence to be released. She is eligible to reapply next year.

According to this report before she was denied parole, Warmus was hoping to get released in order to get surgery for a brain tumor.

This reposts a report noting Warmus was tried twice for the murder:

Warmus was indicted on the charge of second-degree murder on February 2, 1990. Carolyn made her $250,000 bail and her father paid for her bond. Carolyn's trial was held at the Westchester County Courthouse and David Lewis was her attorney.

The trial dragged on as piece after piece of testimony, evidence, and speculation were closely scrutinized by the jury. Twelve days after the prosecutor and defense gave their closing statements, the jury announced they were hopelessly deadlocked at 8-4 in favor of conviction and unable to arrive at a unanimous verdict. The judge was forced to declare a mistrial on April 27, 1991.

In January 1992, a second trial began. The new jury was able to gain better insight into who could have committed the murder with the introduction of a new piece of evidence. A bloody cashmere glove belonging to Warmus that had been spotted in a photograph of the brutal crime scene was recovered, and this would decide her fate.

At the end of this trial, the jury took six days to decide Warmus was guilty on May 26, 1992. Judge John Carey did not grant Warmus any leniency, saying she had committed "a hideous act, a most extreme, illegal and wanton murder." Warmus faced a minimum of 15 years, but Judge Carey sentenced her to the maximum, 25 years to life in prison.

No comments: