Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Obituary: Aaron Hernandez

Former NFL player and convicted murderer Aaron Hernandez, 27, was found hanged in his cell early this morning. Only a few days ago he was acquitted of a couple of other murders.

He once played for the New England Patriots during the years 2010 to 2012. He was dumped by the team after his legal troubles began.

This man clearly was a bad seed, perhaps born evil. He just didn't care what he did. I feel bad for his family, though. He was the father of a little girl with his fiancee despite the fact he was sentenced to life without parole.


Hernandez tried to block the cell door from the inside by jamming the door with various items, Fallon said.

Fallon said he's not aware of any suicide note written by Hernandez and stressed that an investigation is ongoing. He said that officials had no concern that Hernandez was planning on taking his own life, and if there was a concern about his well-being, Hernandez would have been transferred to a mental health unit.

Hernandez was moved to tears on Friday after he was acquitted of the 2012 fatal shootings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado in Boston. Just before his acquittal, Hernandez was seen blowing kisses to the little girl he fathered with fiancée Shayanna Jenkins-Hernandez. Cameras captured the tender exchange.

From the NY Times:

Mr. Hernandez grew up in a tough neighborhood in Bristol, Conn., and played at the University of Florida, where he was chosen the country’s best tight end. He also ran into trouble there, getting into a bar fight and testing positive for marijuana.

He was a fourth-round N.F.L. draft pick by the Patriots, after many teams passed on him, leery of his reputation.

Teamed with another star, Rob Gronkowski, Mr. Hernandez gave the Patriots a tight end combo that was second to none. He played three years in the N.F.L., catching 175 passes for 18 touchdowns. He signed a $40 million contract extension in 2012 to continue playing for the Patriots.

In 2013, Mr. Hernandez and Mr. Lloyd began dating sisters, and the two men socialized together. In June 2013, at a Boston nightclub, Mr. Hernandez became angry with people Mr. Lloyd was talking with. Investigators said that Mr. Hernandez might have suspected that Mr. Lloyd was talking with them about the double murder case that Mr. Hernandez was eventually acquitted of.

It was a tragic story all around. I just don't think there was any way this man could have ever been helped.

Perhaps he knew it, too, and that is why he killed himself.

No comments: