Friday, April 14, 2017

Walden, Too


Oregon's Second Congressional District representative Greg Walden of Hood River, Oregon, Republican, of course, faced a largely hostile crowd of at least a couple of thousand people this morning at North Medford High School in Medford, Oregon. Yours truly got there before 7:30 a.m., an odd time for a town hall, but I suspect Walden was hoping for a small crowd so he would not have to face an even bigger or more hostile crowd. It was still an impressive turnout considering Walden would have rather have been anywhere else but there.

The Indivisible group mostly made up this hostile crowd. If they liked what was said, almost always by a person in the audience rather than by Walden, they would hold up green signs saying "AGREE." If they didn't like what was being said, usually by Walden, they turned the signs over to orange, where they said "DISAGREE." Although I belong to Indivisible, I didn't get involved in holding up the signs. There were lots of jeers from the crowd, too, which I didn't necessarily think was a good idea.

Walden tried to cover his ass on the issues, especially on health care and the Affordable Care Act, but I don't think the audience was buying what he was trying to sell. Other issues included immigration, Trump, gun violence, investigations into Russian involvement in the election, and the environment. That is not a complete list.

Despite the hostility of this and other crowds throughout the congressional district, I do not see Walden being defeated in 2018. He has been in Congress for years, so he has name recognition. Furthermore, the district trends very, very red. His district covers the entire state east of the Cascades, plus Jackson County and most of Josephine County. I believe he is the only Republican representative in Oregon.

Because I had a PERS meeting I wanted to attend this morning, I left a few minutes early. I had taken the day off from work to attend that meeting.

A few photos from the fest:


This report underestimates the crowd. It was bigger than the Jeff Merkley town hall of a couple of weeks ago, and that was over 1,000 people.



No comments: